About Me

My photo
Tulsa, OK, United States
This blog is a record of the Senior Class from the University of Tulsa's Musical Theatre Program as we develop a Showcase to perform in New York. For more information, including how to donate, click on 'Who We Are' under the Pages sidebar!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Beginning!

Hello, I'm Sean Stewart. I am one of the Senior Musical Theatre Majors at the University of Tulsa. If you didn't read the top of the page, we are heading to New York the week of May 1 through May 6 to put on a showcase with the help of Actor's Connection. At our school, in order to be involved in the showcase, we have to enroll in a two-part course of that name, Showcase. The first section is entirely devoted to the research and business aspect of producing a showcase, from fund-raising, to marketing, to finding a venue. The second section is devoted to searching for and developing material for the actual performance. This is the first post of many as we work through the second half of this course.

As I look for material I've discovered something extremely important: you have to please yourself. Our department recently had the privilege of having Chet Walker, the much lauded Broadway choreographer and director, in for a two-week residency. This is something he kept stressing to us, but it only recently hit home for me. If I want to make an impression, I need to consistently connect and open myself up to the material I am performing. Mr. Walker told us something that I am going to make my mantra: If you're not pleasing yourself, then what's the point? At the end of the day, you will be performing for a panel of auditioners with their own opinions of what you are doing. The only way to guarantee success after every audition is making sure you are pleased with what you did. If you are doing something to please others, that won't happen.

Thanks for taking time to read! Stop by next week to hear from another student!

No comments:

Post a Comment